Coronavirus: Tokyo Olympics Under Threat
As the spread of the corona virus from China continues with various countries reviewing their travel and immigration protocol, the fate of the world’s greatest sporting event the quadrennial Olympics could be hanging in the balance.
Tokyo Olympics organisers and the International Olympic Committee (IOC) however said there is no “Plan B” for the 2020 Games, which will hold in just over five months and have been jolted by the coronavirus outbreak in neighbouring China.
Head of an IOC inspection team, John Coates, told reporters on Friday that Tokyo 2020 remains on track stating that “ the advice we’re received externally from the World Health Organization is that there’s no case for any contingency plans or cancelling the games or moving the games”.
China’s National Health Commission said the death toll from COVID-19 had reached 1,523 in the mainland as at Friday.
All but four of the deaths were in Hubei, where some 56 million people remain under quarantine.
Across mainland China, there were 2,641 new confirmed infections on Friday. The total accumulated number so far has reached 66,492.